All of the following written case stories were collected by Tanya Harter Pierce, author of OUTSMART YOUR CANCER, and are from people who used one or more of the alternative approaches presented in her book.

Case Story from Book, p.109 - Childhood Brain Tumor

Paul was a five-year-old little boy back in 1986 when he was diagnosed with a large slow-growing tumor in his brain. Doctors told Paul’s family that the tumor was inoperable and he would not live to see his tenth birthday. Paul’s parents sent scans to the head of the pediatric neurosurgery department at the Mayo Clinic. At that time, this was Dr. Patrick Kelly. Dr. Kelly reviewed the scans then wrote to Paul’s parents: “I have reviewed the MRI scans on your five-year-old son Paul . . . it is the largest tumor I have ever seen in this area in anybody ever referred to me for surgery. I showed your scans to a number of my colleagues here who feel that it is inoperable. . . . Without surgery, your boy will die.”

Because of the serious risks involved in attempting surgery or radiation, Paul’s family elected not to pursue those treatments. By 1988, they finally found out about and started Paul on Burzynski’s antineoplastons. By the time he started antineoplaston therapy, Paul’s tumor had grown to the size of an orange. On antineoplastons, the tumor gradually shrank down until it was no longer visible. Today, Paul is a healthy 22-year­old young man.


Back to Top


Case Story from Book, p. 140 - Childhood Leukemia

Sydney is a wonderful seven-year-old girl. In 1999, when she was only two, she was diagnosed with “acute lymphoblastic leukemia.” Two-year old Sydney was given chemotherapy for about a year. At that point, her doctors and family were hoping that she would be able to transition to “maintenance” therapy, but a bone test in October of 2000 showed that she still had cancer in her bone marrow. Sydney had relapsed, and her doctors wanted to perform a bone marrow transplant involving aggressive chemotherapy at this point. Her family was told that even with the bone marrow transplant, Sydney probably only had a 10 percent chance of survival.

Before making a decision, Sydney’s family sought a second opinion from another prominent hospital. The doctors at this hospital told them that Sydney would probably only have a 5 percent chance of survival after the transplant.

In January of 2001, Sydney’s family chose to decline the bone marrow transplant which offered so little hope. They also declined any further chemotherapy or other conventional treatment. Instead, they started Sydney on Protocel. Sydney showed mild symptoms of lysing [cancer breakdown] which mostly involved loose stools with what looked like lysed material in them. Amazingly, when Sydney went back for her next checkup, which seemed to her mom like after just a matter of weeks, there was no more evidence of leukemia!

Sydney has continued to take Protocel, and has also continued to get tested about every three months (including bone marrow tests) for the past four years. All her tests have continued to be negative for cancer. Recently, Sydney’s doctor told her family they don’t have to bring her in for checkups anymore, but Sydney’s mother still feels more comfortable doing the testing once in a while. Sydney’s last test was on January 8, 2003, and again showed her to be cancer-free. Little Sydney feels perfectly fine and is currently enjoying attending school.

Back to Top


Case Story from Book, p. 143 - Stomach Cancer Metastasized to Lymph and Bones

Another remarkable story of recovery from metastasized cancer belongs to Robert. In May of 2000, when Robert was 54, he and his wife were vacationing in Las Vegas. One day, Robert suddenly fainted and then began vomiting blood. He was rushed to the hospital and, after scoping his stomach, the doctors told Robert he had stomach cancer, stage IV. The scope had revealed a 5.8 centimeter tumor. Also, the wall of his stomach was about 3 inches thick around the tumor instead of the normal 1-inch thickness. The doctors gave Robert 2 pints of blood to get him back home so that he could be treated by his local doctors.

At home, Robert’s doctors performed a cauterization in his stomach to stop the bleeding and administered antibiotics to him. More tests revealed, however, that Robert’s stomach cancer had already metastasized. He was soon diagnosed with MALT lymphoma, which is a cancer of the stomach lining, as well as non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. (MALT stands for mycosa-associated lymphoid tissue.) As if that was not enough, a bone scan and bone marrow biopsy then showed he had cancer in his bones as well, and another scan showed two spots on his liver.

Robert’s doctors recommended a chemotherapy regimen called “CHOP” along with radiation directed at the stomach tumor. (CHOP stands for four drugs: cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine, and prednisone.) They told Robert and his wife that if he did not undergo this type of treatment, he would probably live no more than 3 months. Robert found out about Protocel in June of 2000, and he started taking the formula. He refused all chemotherapy and radiation and just took Protocel every day in distilled water. He also started taking Ellagic 21, enzymes, and aloe vera juice for detoxing and cleansing. After a while, Robert started experiencing a lot of odd stuff coming out of his body in his feces and also saw that his urine was often “bubbly”.

Exactly 2 months after starting Protocel, at the end of August 2000, Robert underwent another stomach scoping. He was thrilled to hear that his tumor had shrunk from 5.8 to 3.5 centimeters in size. They then found out that the two spots on his liver were gone! On his next visit two months later, his stomach tumor was again decreased in size. Finally, on December 22, 2000, after undergoing yet another scoping, a set of scans, and blood tests, Robert was told that all of his cancer was gone. In just six months, his stomach, lymphatic, and bone cancer had disappeared! (The spots on his liver had disappeared as well, but it had never been definitively determined that they were cancer. They may have been a pre-cancerous or other sort of condition that also got resolved through the use of Protocel.)

Robert continued to take Protocel for a total of two years from the day he started to make sure that all the cancer in his body was completely gone. He knew that modern diagnostic tests cannot detect all of it. He now plans to take just one bottle of Protocel each year, which is about a two-month supply, as a maintenance program for the rest of his life. Robert’s recovery from metastasized cancer is an incredible success story.

What did Robert’s doctor think of his recovery? In late December 2000, when Robert was told that all his cancer was gone, his wife asked his main doctor to what he attributed the recovery. The doctor knew all along that Robert was taking Protocel, but for some reason, he couldn’t believe it was the Protocel that did it. The doctor’s reply was that it was probably the strong antibiotics that had been administered to Robert for his stomach ulcerations early in the summer that brought about his remarkable cure.

All of the following written case stories were collected by Tanya Harter Pierce, author of OUTSMART YOUR CANCER, and are from people who used one or more of the alternative approaches presented in her book.


Back to Top


Case Story from Book, p. 220 - Metastasized Pancreatic Cancer

William is a 72-year old man whose friends and family have always called “Huck”. About 10 years ago, at the end of 1993, Huck suddenly became very ill. He was overcome with extreme pain and nausea, and was rushed to a nearby hospital emergency room. Doctors there were unable to find the problem, so they sent him home. However, the symptoms kept returning, with Huck suffering from about half-dozen painful attacks by the end of January. He was finally admitted to the hospital in late January1994 to undergo more tests. The doctors suspected a problem with his pancreas but hospital tests still showed nothing. A CT scan also showed nothing unusual.

Because of his severe pain, Huck requested that his gallbladder be removed in case that was the problem. This surgery was done on February 7 and went smoothly. For a few days, Huck seemed to feel better, but then the pain returned in the same place it had been before. He saw some other specialists, but they couldn’t find anything, either. Toward the end of April, Huck had lost 50 pounds and suffered his worst attack of pain ever.

Finally, in May 1994, another CT scan was done, and this time it showed some serious changes in his pancreas. The doctors could now see that Huck’s pancreas had tripled in size since his first scan in January. He was referred to a pancreatic surgeon, who tried an endoscopic procedure to learn more details of what was going on. Unfortunately, that did not reveal anything either. So the next day, Huck went into surgery. After opening him up, the surgeon found malignant pancreatic cancer that had metastasized (stage IV). Huck’s primary tumor in the pancreas was about the size of two slightly flattened lemons. It was also obvious now that the tumor had reached out and grown around the blood vessel running between the pancreas and liver, as well as around another primary blood vessel. The surgeon knew there was no way he could surgically remove all of the cancer and didn’t even try to cut it out. The only thing the surgeon did before sewing Huck back up was to take a few fine needle biopsy samples. (The needle biopsies came back from the lab indicating that the type of pancreatic cancer was “adenocarcinoma”.) After surgery, Huck was told he would probably not live more than 3 months. Huck and his wife, Nan, were told that neither chemotherapy nor radiation would help, so no treatment was recommended.

Huck and Nan left the hospital with a terrible diagnosis, but they didn’t give up. They looked into alternative approaches. First, Huck started drinking six 12-ounce glasses of fresh vegetable juices each day and improved his diet. By the end of June, he also started getting Laetrile treatments at an alternative clinic. Every day (except Sundays) for three weeks, he received intravenous Laetrile along with DMSO and massive amounts of vitamin C. After that, Huck switched to oral Laetrile tablets. Huck added other supplements to his daily regimen, too, as well as Essiac Tea. Then, around mid-August, Huck and Nan found out about flaxseed oil and cottage cheese, so he started taking 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil with 1 tablespoon of cottage cheese after every meal. His total intake of oil was 3 tablespoons a day.
Huck never did any conventional treatment for his cancer but gradually began to feel better and better. In December 1994, he was feeling very well and had put back on 25 pounds. Another CT scan was performed, and unbelievably, just seven months after being diagnosed with metastasized pancreatic cancer, his doctor could not find anything abnormal on the scan at all! The doctor was stunned. He called in the radiologist to look at the scan with him, but the radiologist could not find any cancer or anything else out of the ordinary, either.

On December 28, 1994, a blood test was taken to measure levels of a pancreatic cancer marker. This test is called the CA-19-9. For this test, the normal range is between 0 and 37. Huck’s test came back at 17. Over the years, Huck continued to get regular CT scans. Every time, the results showed him to be clear of cancer. In April 1997, he had another CA-19-9 test done. His count this time was 14.
Over a few years, Huck gradually stopped using the flaxseed oil and cottage cheese as well as the Laetrile tablets. He went back to eating a normal, healthy diet, and he continues to take some supplements. He has had no recurrence of cancer since, and his doctor has had a hard time believing it. At first, Huck would receive a phone call from his doctor’s office about every 3 months, just to see how he was doing. After a while, his doctor’s office only called him every 6 months, then once a year. Finally, the doctor’s office stopped calling him.

Huck’s story is truly an amazing one. People who are diagnosed with stage IV pancreatic cancer are given virtually no chance for long-term recovery by standard medical practices. Probably, everything Huck did worked together to help him get well. Laetrile treatment can be a very powerful approach but does not appear to have high success rates for metastasized cancer when the intravenous part of the treatment is only done for three weeks. Usually, patients must keep coming back for intravenous Laetrile treatments in order to fully recovery. Although it is hard to be sure, Huck and Nan believe the flaxseed oil and cottage cheese combination had the biggest impact.


Back to Top


Case Story from Book, p. 271 - Metastasized Ovarian Cancer

Sixty-one-year-old Merille (pronounced Marilee) had not been feeling well for some time when she went to her doctor in January 2002. A CT scan showed fluid in her lungs and, since one of the causes of this could be cancer, she was referred to a specialist at the Mayo Clinic. More tests at the Mayo Clinic revealed tumors on both of Merille’s ovaries as well as in her lymph system. A blood test for the ovarian cancer marker “CA-125” showed her to have a count of almost 800. (The normal, healthy range for the CA-125 is a count of around 34 or below.)

Merille was rushed into surgery to have her uterus and ovaries removed. After the surgery, biopsies were done on the tumors and the diagnosis came back “ovarian cancer, stage IIIC”. At this point, Merille’s oncologist recommended chemotherapy but told her there was no cure for her type of cancer. The implication was that the best conventional medicine could do would be to manage her cancer for as long as they could, but that she would always have it. Merille did not know of any other option but to go with her doctor’s recommendation, so she followed her surgery with six rounds of chemotherapy.
When the chemotherapy was completed, Merille’s CA-125 had gone down to a count of 9 and she was pronounced in remission. But as is common after chemotherapy, her count immediately started going back up. By March 2003, her CA-125 was up to 84 and her cancer was obviously back. Merille now had new tumors in her abdomen and also in her neck area around her collar bone. Her Mayo Clinic oncologist pronounced that “the chemo had failed”. At this point, the doctors performed more surgery on Merille, but they could not remove all her cancer. They recommended more rounds of chemotherapy, but at the same time told Merille there was a significant risk that further chemo would damage her heart. Merille was forced to make a difficult decision and she decided to decline more chemo and look for alternatives instead.

Merille’s daughter found out about cesium high pH therapy using liquid ionic minerals. Merille was able to contact an experienced consultant and start on liquid ionic cesium and liquid ionic potassium immediately. She also began to take other supportive liquid minerals and supplements. Within three months, all her tumors disappeared and her cancer marker test had gone from 84 down to 23. Now her CA-125 was back in the normal range. Merille’s doctor at the Mayo Clinic was amazed and wondered what she was doing. When she told him, he just said, “Keep doing what you’re doing!”

Merille reduced her dosage of liquid minerals at this point, but her next MRI three months later showed her marker results to be up another 10 points. So she went back on the full dose of cesium and other minerals and her marker results began to go back down again. By January 2004, her CA-125 marker was all the way down to 12, and she had no clinical signs of cancer at all. The latest CA-125 test, taken in April 2004, was 6.4 – the lowest it has ever been.

Merille did nothing other than the cesium high pH therapy while she was recovering from her metastasized ovarian cancer. To ensure that she stays free of cancer, she is continuing to take the liquid minerals and supportive supplements. Merille says she took the cesium five days out of each week, followed by two days off. (During those two days, she continued the liquid ionic potassium and other supplements, though.) She took potassium four times a day and cesium twice a day with the ratio of potassium to cesium being five to one. This way, it was easy to avoid potassium deficiency.

Merille also says that she felt very good during her treatment, with only mild detoxing symptoms and sporadic diarrhea. And she only experienced a little tingling and numbness around the nose and mouth at times. All in all, it was a truly easy and miraculous recovery!


Back to Top


Case Story from book, p. 108 — Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma

Mary Jo is a woman whose cancer recovery story has been written up in numerous publications. In 1991, when Mary Jo was only 40 years old, she was diagnosed with low grade non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. It was 100 percent follicular lymphoma, and she consulted with physicians at USC, UCLA, Stanford Medical Center in California, and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston. They all told her that there was no conventional treatment that could cure her cancer. The Dana-Farber Institute offered Mary Jo an autologous bone marrow transplant with high-dose radiation as her best chance for recovery. This treatment procedure is extremely risky and can cause serious side effects, including death. Mary Jo decided to turn it down. 

Not wanting to give up, Mary Jo and her husband researched other options that might be available and eventually found out about Burzynski’s treatment. In 1992, Mary Jo flew to Houston and started on antineoplaston therapy. For about the first two months she took the antineoplastons in capsule form. This involved 60 capsules a day. But the capsule regimen did not seem to be working effectively enough on her cancer, so she then switched to using an “infusion pump.” This is the most effective way to administer antineoplaston therapy, and involves carrying around a small pump that is attached to a catheter surgically inserted into the chest. The pump releases a constant slow drip of antineoplastons into the body for about 10 hours a day. Mary Jo says that this pump was not difficult to deal with, and that she could basically do everything she would normally do without any problem. She also says there were no side effects from the treatment.

After 9 months of treatment on the infusion pump, Mary Jo was pronounced in remission by both her oncologist at UCLA and by Dr. Burzynski. She remained in remission for about two years, when two swollen lymph nodes indicated a possible recurrence. It was never determined whether her enlarged nodes were really the cancer recurring or just a reaction to a cold or infection. But just to be safe, Burzynski put her back on treatment immediately.

After only three months on capsule treatment, a follow-up CT scan showed Mary Jo in remission again. She has been cancer free ever since, which, at the time of this writing has
been for the past 11 years!


Back to Top


Case Story from Book, p. 96 — Lung Cancer Metastasized to Liver, Pancreas, and Adrenals

In 1991, a 70-year old man named Mort was diagnosed after X-ray and surgery with lung cancer. CT scans then showed that his cancer had already spread to his liver, pancreas and adrenals. His oncologist recommended no treatment, indicating that there was none available that could help Mort. Within 2 months, Mort’s wife found out about Dr. Gonzalez and Mort started on the Gonzalez-Isaacs program. In four months, Mort’s tests indicated he was improving. Five years after his diagnosis, Mort was still alive and doing well.⁸


Back to Top


Case Story from Book, p. 219 — Metastasized Prostate Cancer

Cliff Beckwith is an American man who has done a great deal to spread the word about the use of flaxseed oil and cottage cheese for cancer. (I use his full name here because, for years, he publicly posted his story on his website.) 

In January of 1991, Cliff was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Initial bone scans and other tests indicated that the cancer had not spread, so surgery was recommended. During the operation, however, Cliff’s surgeon discovered that his cancer had in fact metastasized to his lymph glands. Because of this, Cliff was diagnosed as stage IV, and the operation was not completed. His doctor said that, since the cancer was in his lymph system, it would not do any good to cut it out locally at the prostate gland. 

At that point, it was decided to use the drugs Lupron and Eulexin to block his production of testosterone. Cliff went on the drugs, but in the meantime, he also found out about Dr. Budwig’s flaxseed oil and cottage cheese approach. He read that most people are about 80 percent deficient in omega-3 and that Dr. Budwig had worked with cancer patients who sometimes had only a few hours to live and restored them to health. 

So Cliff gave it a try. For two and a half years he put about half a cup of cottage cheese and some fruit, such as crushed pineapple or frozen strawberries, mixed with just 2 tablespoons of flaxseed oil and a little honey, in the refrigerator. He ate that throughout the day. When he was first diagnosed, Cliff’s PSA count was 75. After just six months of eating the flaxseed oil and cottage cheese on a daily basis, Cliff had another PSA test done. He got a call from his doctor’s office the following Monday and the office girl exclaimed, “Mr. Beckwith! Your count is completely normal!” Cliff’s PSA was down to 0.1.

For the first four years, Cliff continued to get PSA readings at six month intervals, and every time, his count was between 0.0 and 0.16. He had continued on the hormone blockade throughout these years, so the flaxseed oil and cottage cheese mixture was not the only thing he was doing. Cliff knew that the hormone-blocking drugs could also effectively lower PSA counts for a while. But when he asked his doctor if he had expected the counts to go down that much, the doctor said, “No way!”

After 1995, Cliff was no longer on the Eulexin and Lupron and was just using flaxseed oil and cottage cheese. In the years since stopping the hormone-blocking drugs, his PSA level has varied just a little more. As of this writing, in August 2003, Cliff is still doing great and has no
clinical signs of metastasis to other organs. He is 82 years old, and his PSA count has remained in a normal range for a man of his age. Best of all, Cliff has already lived about 12 years longer than his doctor thought he would. 

Over the years, Cliff has helped many people with his Internet site and also with an audiotape about flaxseed oil and cottage cheese that he created to give out to people who needed information. He has known of over 100 people who have successfully used this method of treatment to help them recover from all types of cancer. He has even known some stories of flaxseed oil and cottage cheese working to help dogs recover from cancer.

Unfortunately, Cliff has also known people who were getting well using the FSO/CC combination (their cancer markers were going down, symptoms were going away, etc.), but were convinced by their doctors to do more chemotherapy or radiation. Many of these people who had been beating their cancer by replenishing their essential omega fatty acids then died after doing conventional treatment. Apparently, many of these people’s doctors could see that their patient was recovering from cancer but couldn’t accept that they were doing it without the help of conventional medicine.